Disaster Recovery Program for ASET Members
Purpose and Objectives:
The purpose of the ASET disaster recovery program is to provide a platform and clearinghouse for members to help fellow members who have been adversely affected by a disaster. Under the program, affected members can readily communicate their needs to the membership at large and access contact information for members and industry suppliers who have goods and services to donate or lend in the event of a disaster.
Members who wish to donate money to help colleagues in need are encouraged to give to the national or local chapter of the American Red Cross, or the legitimate charities and fundraising drives established for the disaster recovery.
What constitutes a disaster?
Disasters can be sudden, unexpected and unwanted occurrences that can not be avoided. Occurrences caused by nature such as floods, fires, tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes and storms – or caused by man such as airline crashes, terrorist attacks, and civil disturbances – that result in a U.S. state governor or the U.S. President issuing an official disaster declaration for a geographic area constitute a disaster under this recovery plan.
What constitutes a member being affected by a disaster?
A declared disaster area with damage that alters the function of a member’s primary place of employment, thereby causing the member loss of that employment for a period of at least four weeks, and/or a declared disaster area with damage that forces a member to leave his/her primary residence for a period of at least four weeks, constitutes a member being affected by a disaster and eligible for assistance under this recovery plan. For purposes of this program, a member’s primary place of employment is defined as that at which at least 50 percent of his/her annual wages are earned.
Recovery Plan Assistance
When a member in good standing has been affected by a disaster, he/she is eligible to:
- Post messages on one or more of the electronic forums created to support this program.
- Obtain from ASET upon request to the Executive Office a letter confirming one’s membership in good standing in the Society.
- Apply – using the application available upon request from ASET – for a waiver of dues for the member year immediately following the year in which the member was affected by a disaster. All applications for dues waivers under this program are subject to review and approval of the ASET Board of Trustees.
Members in need of replacement documentation of their registry(ies) will need to contact the applicable registration board. If a member has lost his/her ABRET certificate(s) due to a disaster, the ABRET office will provide a free replacement upon request.
Members are encouraged to contact the ASET Executive Office by telephone or e-mail when an occurrence constituting a disaster under this program has taken place as the Executive Office does not have a program in place to regularly scan and monitor natural or manmade disasters.
When an occurrence has been identified that constitutes a disaster under this plan, a disaster alert will be posted on the ASET website landing page – and a broadcast e-mail will be sent to the membership – directing members to the applicable disaster assistance/recovery forums.
Members affected by a disaster under this plan – and members who are in a position to help said members so affected – are encouraged to make use of any or all of the following four electronic forums set up for that disaster. (In the event more than one disaster has occurred at the same time, a set of the electronic forums will be activated for each disaster.)
Electronic Forum Directions, Rules and Etiquette
- Contact Forum – While texting and e-mailing are likely the most ready forms of communication after a disaster has happened, it is entirely possible that telephone and cell phone service may be knocked out or otherwise disrupted. The purpose of this forum is for members affected by the disaster to let friends, families, and colleagues know that they are “okay,” to identify their immediate needs, and to convey how they can best be contacted. This forum is also for friends, family members, and colleagues to post communiqués until other communication lines have been restored.
- Housing Forum – The purpose of this forum is two-fold: (1) members who have been displaced from their homes due to the disaster are encouraged to post their need for temporary housing. The posting should include the number, age, and gender of the people in the party in need of housing; if pets are involved; how best to be contacted; and (2) members who have a room(s) that they can provide to temporarily house displaced members are encouraged to post the availability.
- Supply Forum – Since supplies will be contaminated in many disaster situations, the purpose of this forum is for members affected by a disaster to post their need for temporary equipment and supplies to support the workplace. A listing of vendors who have committed to provide assistance in the event of a disaster will be accessible from this forum. Vendors are encouraged to scan this forum when a disaster has occurred and proactively offer assistance.
- Employment Forum – The purpose of this forum is two-fold: (1) members who are expecting to be displaced from their jobs for longer than 30-days as the result of a disaster are encouraged to post their need for temporary (or permanent) employment. The posting should include a brief description of work experience, education background, credentials held, whether they are willing or able to relocate, and how they may be contacted. (As a standing and ongoing member benefit, members are reminded that they may post their resumes and search for job openings on the Employment Exchange section of the ASET website for free); (2) employers who may be able to offer temporary (or permanent) part-time or full-time employment to displaced members are encouraged to browse this forum and follow up accordingly with the displaced members, and/or post a brief job vacancy announcement.
-- Adopted by ASET Board of Trustees 12.02.2009